Monday, December 26, 2005

Being SDU - Dating disasters

Where you bring your date and what you do during the date says alot.

I've concluded this statement after evaluating the number of (blind) dates I've been to in my entire 23 years on this planet.

I can practically imagine every date of mine calling up their girl friends after the meeting and all of them saying the same thing.

"I'm striking him off my list"

Words are free, thus talk is cheap but the fact was me being unwanted at that point of time.

Let me relate to you about some of the the dates I've been to, and all the boo hoos that happened. Maybe after reading through them you will agree with my opening statement.

Note: The names of my dates have been changed to protect their identity.

Blind Date 1
mIRC and meetups was the in thing then. I've made alot of cyber friends and even chose to meetup with some of them. Different channels different friends. I can practically see my social circle expanding.

In one particular channel, I came to know of this girl called Jaime. I found out that she lives pretty close to me. Being a hot blooded teen and all, I asked if she wanted to meetup.

She agreed.

I was 16. Still a pimply kid with hideous looks after my O levels. I agreed to meet her at Serangoon Interchange. When I saw her she wasn't that bad looking. We agreed to go over to Plaza Singapura for lunch.

We took a bus there.

As for lunch, we settled for Long John Silvers.

We talked about common stuff like school, our plans after receiving our O level results and about the people in the channel we frequent.

I came to notice that halfway through, she was talking to me with her eyes looking at another direction.

I did not noticed it earlier.

Was she cocked eye? I don't think so.

I asked her and she replied that she has always been like that.

Ok, no biggie.

When we started to run out of topics to talk about, I suggested going to catch a movie.

At least after the movie we can always discuss about it when topics run dry. That was what I learnt according to the Singaporean Dating Guide.

She declined politely and said that she had something on later. She had to meet another friend of hers.

"Another date?" I thought to myself but did not pursue the matter.

After she left to meet her friend, I was all alone. Bah. I went to the arcade to play afew games before going home.

After that, I only saw her in channel group outings.

The last I've heard, shes married now. That I only found out when she added me in friendster.

Blind Date 2
I was 17. Knew another girl from mIRC called Emily. I never seen her before but we chatted very well and even upgraded to chatting on the phone. During that period, my cousin in NUS had a play going on and ask me if I wanted to go.

Hmmm. I can ask Emily along.

I did and she agreed. I paid for her share of the ticket and agreed to meet her at Somerset MRT control station on the day of the play.

Bad choice. The amount of commuters at that station is overwhelming. I had to voicemail her a few times before we finally met at the telephone booth. Sheesh.

Had Yoshinoya for dinner before we made our way to Kallang theatre. (I think)

I never expected that my cousin also asked some of my other relatives to support. When they saw me, they thought that Emily was my girlfriend. I explained to them that Emily was just a friend. They didn't seem convinced.

Emily was so embarrassed I can tell.

I offered to send her home after the play but she declined the offer. She also repaid me for the ticket which I paid for her. Voicemailed me after she got home saying she enjoyed my company and that we should meet up again soon.

Like the first one, I only saw her at group channel outings.

Pretty soon, she was attached to another chatter. Same age as me but with more seh. Oh well, what wasn't meant to be wasn't meant to be. Like what Janice Wong said in her SPG book, "I believe that you are born with social skills; you can't have charisma drilled into you."

I believe that they are still together at this point of time.

Date 3
I was 18. Just entered Polytechnic. It was my buddy's girlfriend's birthday chalet. I was introduced to the birthday girl's friends. Some were single. I was able to converse with them without feeling quite shy. One of them was younger than me by a year. We exchanged numbers, we talked. Her name? Kym.

One day Kym asked me out to teach her E Maths. Her Os was coming and she needed help. Ok no problem, I was quite free at that time. I met her about two times and taught her all she wanted to know before she sat her paper.

She did not contact me after that. I heard from my buddy that she got attached to another guy whom she got to know at the previous birthday chalet. Bleahz. Felt like crap. Kena make used of.

I lost contact with Kym until she found me on friendster recently. She asked for a meetup at Bishan Junction 8.

I agreed.

We appeared to be like strangers instead of long lost friends. After that day, we never met up again.

Blind Date 4
I was 21. Serving the army. My friend jioed me go KTV as he is bringing someone. He scared he is unable to entertain her as he has quite alot of friends who frequent the place so he roped me in to help.

I was introduced to Jean. My friend passed me quite abit of cash beforehand and asked me to help him foot the bill in case he got too drunk. I just need to come out about 30 and the bill should be settled. Initially we were chatting happily as a group. Later in the night when his friends came, I was left with the job of entertaining her.

Well, he ordered an overdose of beer and sometime during the night, he don't know disappeared to where. The money he gave me was not enough to foot the bill. I only brought limited cash, and they did not accept NETS. Heck, my account didn't even have enough money then! I had no choice but to turn to Jean to ask if she could contribute her share.

Damn paiseh sial.

I offered to send her home via cab. I paid of course.

But I never saw her again.

Blind Date 5
I was 22. My buddy changed his girlfriend. And this time his girlfriend wanted to introduce her classmate to me. She said both of us potato kids should be very compatible. She agreed to bring her out one day so that we all can double date.

Her classmate? Nancy.

During the double date, Colin's girlfriend kept singing my praises. Colin also contributed abit. I guess she really wanted us to work out. By the end of the date, we exchanged numbers and Nancy asked me to call her.

Call her I did. And our first date alone together was at Junction 8 Yoshinoya. We built on the topics we talked about through the phone conversations. She was so at ease to be with. With a hot body to boot. I seriously thought that she was the one.

After dinner I suggested going for coffee. Since Coffeebean was closed for renovation. I brought her to the kopitiam above the interchange. Yea, that run down warm kopitiam. She didn't mind mah.

We kept the conversations alive until her parents came to fetch her. I was about to ask her out again the following week but over the weekend, she messaged me saying that she just got attached and asked me if we could still be friends.

Wah lauz. Everything crumbled before me, just when I thought things were going smoothly. Why so suay one?

But I did reply her saying that we could still be friends. But I guess that that was just for show only.

I havent spoken to her or seen her since.


* * * * *


There. My dating boo hoos. After thinking back about my past dates, I felt that I should really be striked off their list. What do you think?

What I did wasn't... appealing enough for them. It wasn't what they wanted.

All that crap from my female friends that I should just be myself is bullshit.

For all the dates I've been to, I was being myself. And what happened?

Being unwanted due to being myself is just not going to make it happen.

Rambo Tan shares my views about the "being yourself" advice in this article.

Read it. Its good stuff.

For any future dates I'm going to, I'm going to put on my sheep's clothing.

Its time to be a big bad wolf.

0 Comments:

<< Home